Thursday, September 26, 2013

Tactics

These days I am doing two things:
1) Get a reco letter from a prof so I can apply for various opportunities.
2) Try and find an amicable, peaceful solution for my grandparents to live.

The worst part? I am going around in circles in both. Of late I have been aggressive in arguing with whoever I deal with; while aggression isn't an option on the first problem, for the second it just elicits the following responses- oh my son you are so good, god bless you, live a long life, you are too young to understand family problems, if only you knew what they said, they are a team against us and don't want us staying and the ultimate reply- you think I wont go if they say don't come? I will still go, no one can stop me. They are my children even if they tell me to get lost and go away.  Nothing could be farther from the truth but in their illogical, cynical mind they are able to construct a nefarious situation that is miles from reality.

I started wondering is this merely a management problem, that is to say am I managing the people wrong? Is there a better way to do this? Clearly something works between my grandparents and my aunt, some possible explanations include buttering that my aunt does, spiritual arguments she uses versus the angry rebuttals me and my family does, having a person devoted to take care of her needs who also comforts them by talking  to them, the better weather in this city. All this doesn't mean they are fine with the concept of staying here, they still prefer reverting all the improvements made in their health just because they cant imagine living with their married daughter in her house. Its really strange how people how have literally come back from the jaws of death behave in a way that places them and their family at more risk. The thing is one of them owns up sometimes to fabricating stuff because he doesn't feel at peace in his head, though he forgets that quite often and goes back to cursing everyone. The other one gives the reactions I highlighted before. Its come down to being stuck between two maddeningly impossible people who refuse to see reason and common sense. I don't say the other party as innocent, but they don't have malicious intentions and prejudice in their minds.

Coming back to the idea of such things being a management problem, I find that there are always situations where strong arm tactics don't work, even though you fervently believe in what you are saying and doing is right. Even if you can see crystal clear reason and sense, the other person flat out denies it. This is something that I believe is the key to mastering life. A lot of issues dealing with such people and situations comes from anger and frustration. A deeper insight to the mind would help unfocus from the emotion of the problem and present the problem in a way that would help its addressal sooner or later. This is why some people are successful, they postpone their emotions for achieving their ends.


No comments: